Thursday, May 14, 2015

Great Season for the Calgary Flames!

Many years ago, I was a serious and dedicated NHL hockey fan.  My son Rhys and I would attend as many Calgary Flames games as we could over the winter.  We even managed to see one of the Stanley Cup Playoff games during their "run for the Cup" in 1989. My favorite players were Theo Fleury and Lanny McDonald, while my son's was Mike Vernon.

The NHL Strike-Lockout a few years ago really soured me on that level of hockey.  To me, it looked like a bunch of rich hockey players fighting with a bunch of rich owners - millionaires versus billionaries.  I haven't really paid much attention to NHL hockey ever since.

Until this past winter!  I really took an interest in this upstart Flames team as they battled their way, first into the playoffs, then through the first round against the Vancouver Canucks.  I even watched a couple of periods on TV.

This was a team that wasn't supposed to make it that far!  Yet they worked hard and persevered!

I felt badly for them when they lost to the Anaheim Ducks, but I certainly thought they had nothing to feel ashamed about.  Those youngsters worked so hard, and their hockey was fun to watch, too.

Congratulations to the Calgary Flames hockey club.  You certainly proved yourselves to be a top notch and classy bunch.  And thank-you for re-kindling my interest in professional hockey!

No comments:

Post a Comment