Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Bruce Rowe not Seeking Re-Election

I read in the Three Hills Capital newspaper an open letter from our MLA, Bruce Rowe.  He has declared in the letter that he will not be running for the Progressive Conservative nomination in this constituency, and not seeking re-election as MLA for Olds-Didsbury-Three Hills

I totally understand his reasons for leaving Edmonton, but in many ways I wish he could have stayed one more term. 

I've worked closely with Bruce for many years when we served on Beiseker Village Council together.  You'd be hard pressed to find a more dedicated and hard working elected official!  I admired his tenacity and ability to stay ahead on the learning curve. 

Many of us have been in local politics for decades; Bruce was a "newbie" when he was elected by the good folks of Beiseker.  The learning curve here was steep, but he mastered it to go on to be our mayor.  He joined the executive of the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association (AUMA) and started doing those long drives to the provincial capital almost weekly to represent us there at AUMA meetings.

When he was first nominated for the Wildrose Party, then elected as our MLA, I was pleased for him and saddened for Beiseker.  We were losing a great local politician, here.  The learning curve just got a lot steeper for him, too.  But he persevered and I think he served his constituency well these last few years.  Those hard won skills and knowledge will be hard to replace!

In his statement in the paper, Bruce cited family ties as the main reason for his leaving provincial politics.  I totally understand.  He and his wife Carol are going to want to see their grandchildren grow up, and they do that so very fast.  I know that Bruce will continue serving this constituency to the very best of his ability until the election is called.  Then I and many other folks in beautiful downtown Beiseker are going to want to welcome him back! 

Thanks for all your hard work, Bruce.  I look forward to seeing you around town more often again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment