Thursday, January 8, 2015

Je Suis Charlie

I have just watched the news about the massacre of French journalists in Paris, yesterday morning.  I understand that ten journalists and two police officers were shot and killed by a terrorist group.   The magazine Charlie Hebdo, a satirical journal, was the target.

The motive is not totally clear because that particular publication satirizes almost everyone, but the assassins were heard yelling phrases associated with Islam.   Apparently some small radical Islamic group took exception to the magazine satirizing their religion.

I've always considered myself a minor player in the world of journalism.  I've actively written for magazines and newspapers for more than forty years.  Freedoms I hold most dear are the freedom of speech  and the freedom of the press.  Both of those freedoms took a severe beating in Paris on Wednesday.

But those two freedoms will survive and thrive!  They must!

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those who lost their lives in Paris.  They must know that everyone involved in journalism around the world is united to protect those two fundamental rights so important to us all.

Je suis Charlie.

1 comment: