Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A New Low In Human Behaviour

I don't often comment of the goings-on with social media.  I've mentioned before I'm a "techno-klutz," so I can't really comment as any kind of expert.

But this story in the news really upset me. 

Apparently, some individuals in Calgary are seeking out the homeless living on the streets in the city core.  Once found, they take photos of the homeless, then ridicule and belittle them, all the while filming with their phones.  These filmed encounters are then posted on a Facebook page.

I beleive that most of the 3500 folks living on the streets in the city are not there by choice.  Ways and opportunities for them to get off the streets and into assisted housing need to be presented to them - a hand up, not a hand out.  But no one deserves to be bullied and ridiculed in this manner. 

Those involved probably think it's just a harmless prank.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Don't we have laws for this kind of thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment