Friday, March 9, 2012

Dangerous Precedent Set at Calgary Board of Ed.

I know it's none of my business really, but I have to comment on the Calgary Board of Education and their recent move to, in my opinion, muzzle its members during public meetings.  The board just passed a motion the other day that would eliminate the questioning of school officials in public meetings.  It will also eliminate bringing forward a point of discussion or a motion by a trustee in a public meeting without previous sanction of the board in a closed (in camera) session.  At least, that's the way I read it.

Sounds like they're setting up the system to hide something!  I believe that public business has to be conducted in public as much as possible.  In camera meetings* and discussions must be kept to an absolute minimum. 

I hope this move by the CBE generates an outcry from voters and taxpayers in the city!

* In camera meetings are conducted behind closed doors without a public audience, including media.  Only those holding elected office and those deemed "needed" are included.   No record or minutes are kept and no motions can be made.  Closed meetings are similar to In Camera sessions except records are kept and motions can be made.

No comments: